Local History: Ritz Cinema
The Ritz Cinema at Clapton Pond opened on 23 October 1939 with Gary Cooper in “Beau Geste” and Rosella Towne in “The Adventures of Jane Arden”.
It was built by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) and designed in typical Art Deco style.
It changed its name to ABC in 1962 to bring it into line with all the other cinemas on the circuit.
The cinema closed on 15 September 1973 with Richard Benjamin and Dyan Cannon in “The Last of Sheila”. Within weeks the building was demolished and the empty site stood unused until 1994, when a block of flats was built there. (from Norman Jacobs)